Prep time: About three and a half hours
- 2lb. duck legs, still frozen
Roast in tinfoil at 400° for about 45 minutes.
Pick off meat and chop coarsely.
Break long bones in half. Place bones in stock pot along with:
- 2 gal. water
- 2 cups chicken broth or stock (optional)
- Several stalks of celery, with tops if available, whole
- Several carrots, with tops if available, whole
- Several large sprigs of rosemary (6″-8″)
Bring to a boil, and maintain a high simmer or low boil for a couple of hours.
Strain and discard solids. Replace liquid in pot, along with:
- Chopped duck meat
- Lentils (to taste – 3 cups-ish)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- Several stalks of celery, chopped
- 2 medium cans of crushed tomatoes
- Lots of salt
Return to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and simmer until lentils are done, about 18 minutes.